Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Reconstructive surgeon visit and physical therapist visit

So I have to shop around for a new reconstructive surgeon. My original one stopped taking my insurance so I had to find someone else. I wouldn't be able to do anything till I've been out of treatment for a year to give my skin time to heal from radiation. I didn't want to wait till the last minute before choosing one, so I've been searching for awhile now. I didn't realize that there are very few surgeons in the area that will do the reconstruction I want to do. I was told initially that trying to have an implant again was out of the question, but maybe not. As fun as the last experience was, I'm not ready to do it again. It was incredibly painful and it didn't work.

So I feel like I'm going through the yellow pages trying to find someone that will work with my insurance. I thought I had one, but they only take a certain type of insurance plan and that happens to be the one I don't have. So I find someone else. I find out she has a website and I go check it out. It's very sleek and very beautiful and shows before and after pictures of the surgery I want. I had high hopes. Then I found out she only works out of a hospital that I'm leery of and it's way out in Beaverton. Even in good traffic, it's a ways out there. But I go to meet her anyways because I forgot I made the appointment till the reminder call and I had nothing to lose. It would be nice to get another opinion.

I hadn't thought of this before, but every person I dealt with at Dr. Waldorf's office was very pretty. I guess it wouldn't do to have an ugly person working at a plastic surgeon's office. That's intimidating. Plus the fact that I had the directions backwards and was nearly 20 minutes late. I've NEVER been late to a single appointment ever. So it wasn't starting off well. I finally get to meet the doctor and the way she talks and her attitude is very uncomfortable. She did have tons of knowledge and she does 8-10 of them a month. She does the tram flap, but not the free tram flap. Anyways, I felt like I was almost disturbing her and that she had quite the ego and how dare I question her or not accept everything she had to say. But I was nervous and maybe I'm imagining things. Most doctors I've dealt with have been very kind and I guess it's normal to have one that's not that way. I left with good information but still not 100% happy with her as a surgeon.

I've been having slight swelling with my right hand. The back of it and two of my fingers are slightly swollen. So when I saw Dr. Schneider last week I mentioned it to him and I called this week again and they set it up for me to see a lymphedema physical therapist in the breast center at the hospital. I went to SWMC (St Joe's) to have my surgeries and the breast center was in a wing of that hospital. I felt like I was coming home. I've had 5 surgeries here including my csections. They finished remodeling the hospital and adding a huge new section in January.

So I go there and meet with John. After Dr. Waldorf's visit this week, I was kind of nervous to get a doctor like here again. Full of herself and ego driven. John was great! It was a relief. I'm terrified of lymphedema and he explained everything out for me. He asked questions, measured my fingers individually, then my wrist, the back of my hand, and then different points up my arm. He showed my a couple of exercises to strengthen my pectoral muscles which I haven't done since my surgery. I know it's my fault for not seeking it, but I've not done any stretching muscles to strengthen and stretch my right side where I had surgery.

John and I talked and I could open up and ask questions that I didn't feel good about asking with Dr. Waldorf. He made me feel completely at ease. Bad news is that I definitely have lymphedema, it's just not bad yet. It's completely manageable and although it will be a hassle, it won't ruin my life. I have to wear a glove every day as soon as I get up and only take it off at night. I have a glove, but it's not a custom fit and it's as blah and beige and medical looking as they come. Plus, it doesn't leave my fingertips free and makes my right hand useless since I can't pick up any small things or grip anything with my fingers. I want to hit www.lymphedivas.com and order a good fitted gauntlet. They need more fabrics though. lol I go back in a week to see John's partner Jody and hopefully get fitted for a gauntlet.

No comments: