Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Preparing for my trip

Since all I can think about is my trip, I'm going to put down some things I'm preparing for. I think there are few people who give a rip about it, so this is mainly for me.

First of all, I called Dr. Brouns, my medical oncologist and asked if I should be worried about lymphedema because of the long flight. So today I'm off to Vancouver to get fitted for a compression sleeve and glove. I'll wear the glove on the flights and keep the sleeve in case I feel any swelling in my arm. I'm so freaked out about getting lymphedema that I'll do whatever it takes to prevent it. I saw a lady with it at the chemo center and her right arm was grotesquely disgured because of it. I was literally sickened looking at it. So I keep close watch on myself.

I've had my classes picked out from just after turning in the info for my grant.
For Session #1:
B. Creative Approaches to Restoring WellnessSpeaker:This workshop will help you engage your creativity to release fears, explore inner strengths, facilitate self-expression and improve self-confidence. Learn how to reduce stress and enhance your well-being through relaxation exercises, visualization and artistic expression using a variety of media, such as collage-building, sculpture and creative writing.

Session 2
E. Get Fit! Developing Your Personal Approach to Fitness
Current research suggests a healthy lifestyle including proper nutrition and exercise can enhance well-being. But how do you get started? Learn how to cope with life’s stresses through exercise and develop a personal fitness plan just for you.

Session 3
O. Moving On: Discovering Your “New Normal”Treatment is over—now what?
Understand the complex feelings that often accompany the end of treatment and the beginning of the rest of your life. Learn how to tackle feelings of anxiety and recapture the joy of living. Find new ways to communicate your needs to colleagues, loved ones and friends and family, and find resources to help you live well and adjust to life after breast cancer.

Session 4
Y. Complementary Approaches to Wellness During and After Treatment
Evidence-based research has found several herbal, energy and touch healing techniques to be safe and effective ways of improving quality of life. Understand methods to complement your medical treatment using acupuncture, herbs and other methods. Hear about the risks and benefits of complementary approaches, and learn about the importance of telling your oncologist about any complementary methods you may consider using.

I'm checking with other ladies on the YSC bulletin board to see which people are taking which classes. Then I'm going to try and look for them so I have someone to sit with when I get there. More to come later.

3 comments:

Heffalump said...

Sounds like you will be getting a lot of new resources to combat stress and depression at this conference. Yay for you!

Jenn said...

I hope you have a GREAT time!

Tanya said...

Looks like a great schedule and lots of useful classes! I hope they'll have lots and lots of new ideas for you and that you will have an awesome trip.