Thursday, January 03, 2008

My brilliant move of the day

I was using a cast iron skillet to make German pancakes. I used a hot pad to pull it out and turned to do something. I turned back and grabbed the pan to take the pancake out. Without the hot pad. I screamed and nearly dropped the skillet. I got my hand under cold water immediately but I can see the imprint of the handle across my hand where I touched it. It hurts so bad and I already can see blisters forming. I called my mom bawling and she said to take like an advil and keep my hand in cold ice water. I'm clutching my trusty bag of frozen peas now. I feel so stupid and it still hurts. I freaked out because I have no lymph nodes in my right arm and I'm supposed to avoid any injury to my right hand to avoid infection because my right arm can't process infection well without lymph nodes. I'm such an idiot!

That picture is my hand after slathering on silvadene and gauze one handed with leftover supplies from previous surgeries and radiation meds. Thank heavens. It hurt like hell last night. I had my hand on a bag of peas or a bag of ice for nearly 3 hours before it became bearable. I took my hand off for a while and dabbed some silvadene cream on it. For the first 10 minutes, it hurt like a beast. Then it cooled down and the medicinal cream started to work. I was worried about my right arm being injured in any way, so I called the nurseline and they nearly cut me off and just told me to go to the ER. Whatever. Those guys are nearly worthless. They won't diagnose you and can't really tell you anything at all. I'm just glad the burn was on my right hand and not my left. I've never had a pan before that the handle was as hot as the pan itself. Dh was asking me why I didn't use a oven mitt. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to feel what a burn feels after burning yourself on a cast iron skillet. That's why I didn't use the oven mitt!!!

3 comments:

Heffalump said...

Ouch! Cast Iron Skillets are awesome, but that is the one drawback.

ditndetes said...

Oh sweetie, your fingers look so sad.

sheri said...

Ouch! Burns are HORRIBLE! Heck, I've had one cause me pain just from a split second on an iron...I can't imagine how badly that one hurt.