Sunday, September 07, 2008

Susan G Komen Race for the Cure


This picture look familiar? I walked in the 1k race last year with my inlaws on a team started by relatives of a neighbor. This year I saw the forms and with finances the way they are, I knew there wasn't a chance of going. I saw the signs like this one in downtown and tried to ignore them. I tried to convince myself it was too crowded and frantic last year and that I really didn't want to go. I was really sad about it. Then the thought came of trying to start a team and I got really excited about it. Then it turns out the dh's work already had a team and so we were too late. Then my friend Danica died and I fell apart. I didn't know what to do but I HAD to do SOMETHING!! I've lost too many friends this year to breast cancer or had people I know diagnosed. It's not right! Most of these women I know are younger than me with little babies that will never know their beautiful courageous mothers. I felt so helpless and lost.

So Jason and I gritted our teeth and put the registration amount on a credit card and signed up for the race as individuals and not a team. We are going to do the 1k walk again like I did last year. I felt so exhilarated and proud that I could do this. My friends that can't do it, I hope they are proud of me. I'm standing for something that I truly and wholeheartedly believe in. This year Susan G Komen is changing their idea. Before it was trying to get more attention to mammograms and early detection. This year it's all about finding a cure. When they explained that at our conference this year, we stood up and cheered. I feel like doing that myself. About dang time.

The race is in Portland on September 21st around 8am though other races are going on all morning. I'm completely out of shape but I don't care. The race in Portland is one of the biggest in the country and I'm going to be in the heart of it all.

This is for those I've lost this year: Cathy, Melinda, Lola, Jayme, and Danica. This is for those I know of who are suffering from it now: Becky, Tanya, Sue, Frances, and every other friend I've "met" on my internet boards. Too many to count sadly. I'll be thinking of you all when I'm out there.

2 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Heidi, I'd like to pay (reimburse you) your registration fee. My grandma is a 25 year breast cancer survivor and it's a cause close to my heart. Email me....charbroiledbrat @ hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

YAY Heidi!! I'm so glad you were able to do this. I'm looking into to doing the one in my area.