Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Appointment #2 down, 3 more to go

I had a mammogram on Monday. I mentally prepare beforehand to expect bad news. There just seems to have been so much lately. A part of me is constantly thinking I'm going to have a recurrence and it's just a matter of time before it happens. So it almost would seem like a relief if they found something and then I'd stop worrying and wondering and be able to fix the problem. Probably sounds dumb and completely irrational.

I went to the Breast Center at SWMC. They have a great clinic and it's very calming and comforting. My mom met me there and watched L in the waiting room for me. So I go and have it done. I think the usual practice is to have it done and then be on your way and they send a form in the mail to let you know if anything is up. But every time I've gone in, they check the films immediately while I wait. I'm so grateful for that. The nurse was waiting for the doctor to check it out and she was in the middle of a biopsy, so it took a while longer for the results.

Since they never know if the doctor will want a better look, I'm in my kimono top in the dressing area waiting to hear if they need more films. It's got a super cushy couch with quilted wall hangings that are so gorgeous. The lights are kind of low and their is calming music playing. After a while, the nurse comes back and says I'm all good and I don't have to come back until next year. THANK GOODNESS!!! When I finally showed up in the waiting room, my mom was starting to get concerned. She figured that with the long wait, that they may have found something and needed further treatment. Nope, I'm in the clear!!

No comments: