Friday, July 28, 2006

6th Chemo treatment

Well, I'm glad I called earlier this week and asked if I could start my chemo sooner. They had me scheduled to for the doctor visit at noon and then chemo starting after that. I know my treatments are long, but I didn't want to get out so late. So they let me come in at 11am and start chemo and then go see the doctor an hour into it. Good thing too since I was the last patient there at 5:30pm. They got my prechemo drugs in me and then had to wait for results from a liver test and discuss it with the doctor before they could start me on the Taxol. My levels were elevated enough that I might not have been allowed to continue. They don't like the levels to go over 120 and mine were 181. So that took extra time and then going to see the doctor took extra time because he was running late.

No clue about when I actually started the Taxol and Gemzar. They gave me a dose of Tagamet and Benedryl with some IV Ativan thrown in for good measure. I didn't have any Emend this week and I was more that slightly worried about getting nauseated so they gave me the Ativan. That took a little extra time but it was worth it if I don't get sick.

It was funny when I walked in. My chemo buddies Donna and Tonya were sitting across from each other and Donna immediately pointed next to Tonya saying that they saved me a spot. Awwwww, that made me feel good! So we all chatted and had fun. I made cookies and brought them yesterday with the recipe included. There are a lot of older people there and if they have health problems that deal with diet, I wanted the recipe there so they could see what's in the cookies. Plus, selfishly, I loved the cookies and wanted to share so someone else could make them. They were gone in a hour!!!! Yeah. I heard both nurses and patients talking about them. Made me feel great. Donna had her last treatment today and it was also her anniversary. So she sent her dh out and he brought back a gorgeous plant for the counter and a huge chocolate cake for everyone. I'm going to miss her! But she rang her bell after she was done with treatment and everyone clapped for her. I'm proud of her and hopes she does well with what come next.

I go back today for my two shots to help my white and red blood cell counts. Can't wait for that. The girls are at Grandma's house today and I'm going to be here trying to recoup. I'm just so tired but can't really sleep which is why I'm up at 5am this morning. Work stuff is happening, so I have to be alert for that today while I'm here. So no closing the bedroom door and taking a nap. But I refuse to go inspect the apartments today with the insurance company. I told the office that and they know. I just had chemo and I'm not going to every apartment and get a chance at getting sick. They don't pay me enough. I'm also going to try and get to a stamping party tonight. I didn't go last month but I want to try tonight. It's the only "fun"stuff I get to do and the only chance to be with friends and be "normal". I hope that I'm feeling up to it.

3 comments:

Lei said...

hope you get to go out tonight heidi... you deserve it. ;)

Rachau said...

I agree you deserve so much!
I put you on the temple prayer roll last night!It was the first thing i did when i walked in there!

emlouisa said...

((hugs)) Thinking of you!