Thursday, August 10, 2006

A fish tried to bite me

Well, it sure seemed like that. Never trust the fish in giant feeding ponds at the fish hatchery. Ever.

Saturday morning we decided to take the girls for a ride up the Gorge. Chloe really enjoyed it last time we were there and so we went again. It was cool and shady and a little breezy, so I'm really glad we went. It's been hot all the time or muggy and it was such a treat to be cool.

Anyways, at the fish hatchery there are about 4 ponds of fish. They had salmon, trout, sturgeon, and some mixed together. You can get fish food at the ponds for a quarter. A little handfull comes out that looks like rabbit pellets. You throw it at the fish and watch the frenzy of them fighting for it. They are really hungry or really bored. Lindsey was pretty scared of the fish, but every once in a while would flick one pellet at a time at the fish. So cute!

So we get to this pond that had a couple of ducks on it. Chloe was really trying to feed the ducks, but those damn fish would crowd up and grab the food before this one duck would get a chance. So she and I go to the far side of the pond and try feeding the duck there. The pond is surrounded on the borders by rocks. I get down and bring some pellets close to where the duck is. The duck gets closer and closer and once in a while I drop a pellet down in the water to entice it to come closer. I get my hand close to the surface of the water and those stupid fish are swarming around me in the water, I can see them below the surface.

Anyways, the duck is less than a foot away and I have my hand so close to the surface. Suddenly, there's a splash and this damn fish jumps up and smacks my hand, makes me lose the fish food into the water, and I scream. I seriously thought he was going to bite me. It took me a while to figure out they don't have teeth. So I scream and everyone around the pond looks up at me like I'm an idiot. I start laughing because it was all so funny. Maybe you had to be there. But to the fish, my hand was so close and they thought they were getting lunch!!! Lesson learned, don't put your hand too close to the surface of the water at a hungry fish pond. Fish will think you are food and want to eat you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol!

We used to live by a fish hatchery. I LOVED going there as a kid!

Rachau said...

LOL You are so funny!I think that has made my day!I am going to think about you tomorrow and the fish!It will make me feel better!
You really do rock girl!