Sunday, August 20, 2006

Last chemo on Thursday!!!

I can hardly believe after Thurday that I will not have to have another chemotherapy treatment. Has it really been 4 months since I started this? Doesn't seem like it. What am I going to do on Thursdays now? I'll have to find some other "fun" activity to replace sitting in a chair for 4-5 hours receiving drugs bad enough that a nurse has to wear special clothes at times to administer it to me.

So I want to do something special on Thursday. Bring a card or something to my nurse Janelle. We are assigned a nurse when we start and she was mine from the beginning. She's been great, real supportive, extra attentive, always making sure everything is just right. But somehow I don't think Hallmark has a card for this occaision. lol I'm not a sweet and sugary person a lot so I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm not even going to see my regular oncologist this week! He's gone so I'm seeing someone else. I want to celebrate somehow and I think I will bring in a cake or some type of goodies to share with everyone. I might just make a couple of batches of cookies on Wednesday instead of a cake. I'll figure it out.

This summer has been hell for me. I've never felt like I have and I've been through a lot. Started out with chemo and saline fills for the tissue expander. The chemo made me sick, the saline fills were incredibly painful, stupid thing fails, money issues, and so much more. Now the chemo is done and I survived it and done ...okay. How do you celebrate this? I want to mark this day and make it special but don't know how.

I do know that I'm going to walk out of there ringing that bell loud and clear. I'm happy I made it, I'm glad that it's done, and pray that I don't have to do it again.

5 comments:

Tanya said...

WOOOOOOT! I'm so happy that you're done, one step down!

I wish I could hear ya ring that bell! What a victory!

:D Congrats Heidi, you are truly a survivor eventhough you don't feel like it, you really are!

Alicia said...

YAYAYAY!!! Such great news!

Anonymous said...

Heidi congratulations on this monumental mile stone. I am so happy for you. Being able to put this last summer behind you and with Gods Great Grace and here is to you never having to expeinece it again.

I know that all of us who work with your dh are in your corner and will continue to hold you both in our prayers.

QueenMeadow said...

Yippee!! I'm so happy for you :) Congrats!

Meemer said...

woot woot! Congrats! You need to ring that bell as loud as you can! You did it!