Friday, September 15, 2006

Surgery update

I went and saw Dr. Gray this afternoon. I am having surgery later this month and she will be performing it. I originally was going to have a saline implant and this spring I went through many weeks of being filled with saline through a tissue expander that was put in the same day that I had my mastectomy. Sometime in July, I found out that the expander burst or got a leak and the saline leaked out. So I will have to have a different type of operation to reconstruct my breast and that will take place next year probably in the spring. This surgery will take out the "broken" tissue expander, remove the port that helped administer my chemo IV drugs, and give me a left breast reduction. I'll stay in the hospital overnight and go home the next day.

Since chemo, my brain has turned to mush and I had to really think about what I wanted to ask the doctor. I even had my mom come with me so that she would help me out with the questions I needed the answers to. My surgery starts at 8:30am which means I have to be there at 6:30am which means I have to get up at 5:30am. All this means that I will be up till at least 12:05am the nightbefore eating a midnight snack since I can't eat after midnight. I hate not eating. lol My regular surgeon Dr. Killway will take my port out and then Dr. Gray will cover the rest of the surgery. My biggest worry is that I'm not sure how we'll take care of the girls that morning. C has school now but L will be taken to a church member's home. It's just a matter of who takes me to the hospital and who watches the girls. Should be fun.

I'll only be overnight and go home the next day. I can't move my right arm more than 45 degrees for 3 weeks, no driving for at least 7-10 days, and who know what else with my left arm.
I see my radiologist on 9/22, I have a mammogram on Tuesday, labs done, see Dr. Gray again, and then enter the hospital after that on Jason's birthday. Did I mention I have my mammogram on my anniversary? So I messed up my parent's anniversay this year, my birthday, my anniversary, and my dh's birthday!! Glad I could hit as many as possible. If the cancer center was open on Thanksgiving, I know I would be having radiation on that day too just to make life even more fun than it already is.

Quick note. The Race for the Cure is this Sunday and I want to go so badly. I'm not racing, but I want to be there to see everyone doing this for breast cancer. It's an amazing feeling to see and know that these people are racing to find a cure for something you are suffering from. They have a Sleep In for the Cure and if it wasn't so much I'd do that. You basically turn in a donation of $25, get a t-shirt, and you sleep in and don't have to show up. How cool is that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize that it was coming up so soon! Good luck and I hope that things go better than expected!

(((((Hugs)))))
Tanya

Heather said...

Heidi I'm totaly doing the race in Denver this year. It's a Sunday, but with you and my SIL's mom and other friends- I have to do something to show my support.