Friday, June 30, 2006

4th chemo treatment

Not too bad. I had myself all panicked that it would be like last time and I would get so sick afterwards. But I made myself drink a lot before, during, and afterwards and that helped a lot. I had to pee 3 times at the chemo center and so I know a lot is going straight through me. I'm so glad.

I had a routine visit with the doctor. My white blood cell count is going down, so they don't want me to become to anemic. So I start having shots for that along with my Neulasta shot every Friday after chemo. I'm halfway through my treatments and I'm done with the AC combo now. Next time I start the taxol and gem combo. The taxol along will take 3 hours to distribute into my system not counting the time for the doctor, the prechemo drugs, etc. So I'm bringing our dvd player with me next time and watch a movie.

I get inside the chemo room and look for my girls. I saw one ladies blanket and sat down opposite her against the windows. Most of the other chairs were empty which was unusual. They got my meds started and I got a chance to talk with Tanya, the lady who I sat across with. She's one of the few that makes me laugh. Her husband comes with her everytime and always looks after her and brings her food and goodies. Such a cutie pie. Mom went out and got both Tanya and I a slurpee because we were talking about how the chemo makes out tongues feel and I let her know that anything cold helped me and I indulged in slurpees a lot. She was intrigued, so Mom rushed off and brought us back cherry slurpees. If I can't have slurpees, I enjoy having crunchy ice to suck on. That helps a lot.

Later after mom left, and I was reading, I saw a lady come walk up to my chair. I had no clue who it could be. It was Donna! My other chemo lady. She had a wig on and I didn' t recognize her without her knit hat. I was wearing the navy blue one she gave me last chemo and I love it. I thought it would be hot, but it's wonderful. Anyways she stopped to say hi and then she went back to her seat. By now, the chemo room was packed and there weren't any good seats left. She got stuck in the worst one, a recliner, but not one of the really cushy ones. Since my treatment was up 10 minutes later, I came and got her and had her take my good chair over since I knew she was in for a long treatment. That way she and Tanya could chat after I left. Donna also has a wonderful huband and I think Donna is one of the most beautiful women I've ever met. Her skin, features, her stature all state what an elegant lady she is. Then she had on a really nice wig and it just completes her.

A bad thing happened at the beginning of chemo. A lady I was just beginning to know named Nancy was there for chemo. I saw her name on the list and saw her coming out of the doctor's room. Once I got to chemo, I saw her getting ready to leave without having chemo. I teased her asking if she had low counts. She wasn't looking good at all. She told me she had a catscan on Monday and her tumors have grown 25% since then. She was going to head to Seattle to see if anything could be done there. I was so shocked.

For me, I go in there for chemo for preventative medicine. My tumor is already gone. I'm doing chemo to make sure it doesn't come back. I totally forget that my case isn't the norm. Most other people are there having chemo to shrink what tumors they already have and haven't been removed yet. It really made me be grateful for what I have because if Nancy is having problems like this, it's not good for her in the long run and made cancer seem more real than just having friends to chat with while getting some treatments. You can only put off reality so long and then someone like Nancy comes along and you can't help but be forced to see that not everyone has it as good as you do.

Well, after chemo I had to pick up a package from a friend that just happened to live near a Krispy Kreme place. Now I had a great tuna sandwich while at chemo, but I was still hungry. So we went there because I was so hungry still and I knew whatever I eat on chemo day i never want again. So what better way to stop eating those nasty nummy yummy doughtnuts? Eat them on chemo day!! So I did. A couple in the car and then I ate the ones my mom told me to save for the girls. Then I went home, stayed up an hour or two and then went to bed. Felt so good! But I slept most of the time till 11pm and barely saw the girls that night. In a way it felt great, but in another I missed my babies. I'm so glad Jason was taking such good care of them. I think he feels the weight of the world on his shoulders, so I hope it doesn't have to continue like that for long. He has too much to deal with now.

Okay, off to Walgreens. I'm supposed to have Emend the day of chemo and two days afterwards. I haven't pick up the meds I need for today and tomorrow so I need to hurry and get them before I get to sick.

2 comments:

Emmers said...

YAY for no more AC!!! In some people the Taxol is SO much easier (in others, it's totally different)..let's hope you're one of the better ones! You deserve for something to go completely your way now!

Rachau said...

I agree with Em you do deserve somthing to go your way.After all you Rock girl!