Thursday, June 01, 2006

My hair is starting to fall out & my 2nd chemo day

I'm really drained so if this doesn't make much sense, I'll get back to it later and try to do better.

I was getting ready this morning to take the girls to the inlaws's house when more hair than normal came out on my fingers while fluffing up my hair. So it started. Just a few more strands but I got upset about it. I started to cry in the car, and sweetie pie that she is, Chloe immediately wants to hold my hand and comfort me. Which is hard while driving down a busy street, but I managed and then Lindsey had to hold my hand since Chloe did. They did a great job making me try and feel better.

I swear the 2nd chemo experience took longer than the first. I got called back and it took a while to visit with the doc and get things settled and me examined. My wbc count is good so I was ready to start the chemo. I go back and get an ideal spot against the windows. I run into a lady I met last time and she was surprised to see I still had all my hair. I reassured her that it had started falling out.

Since I'm in this clinical trial for chemo, it took a while to get my chart ready with the results from the labs I had drawn yesterday. The doctor thought it would be best if I started coming in two days before chemo instead of the day before so that everything would be ready and no one would be scrambling for results again. Fine by me.

So I finally start and quickly got bored. I'm glad Mom brought me something to read. I talked once in a while to my friend that I saw and was happy to see the other lady show up for her chemo once I was about halfway through my IVs. In fact, Donna gave me a wig! A friend had bought it for her, but she didn't need it and she thought of me since it had my hair coloring. So I gratefully took it home and I'm not sure I will wear it. It's nice to have just in case.

I'm starting to fall asleep here, so I'm going to skip a bit. While I was in the examining room waiting for Dr. G to come, I tested my hair out. I was able to PULL some hair out in back. Not a few strands, but a lot. Not just something like when you are postnatal and some hair falls out. This was a big chunck. I did it in front and even more came out. I immediately started to cry and hid all the hair in the garbage. The saline fill went fine and I got another 75cc and did really well with it. I'm up to 480cc and going strong.

Once I got home, I was just done for the day. Like I had run a huge race and was really tired and exhausted and spent. I was finally relaxing after all the events of the day and I'm so glad it's over. I bought some stuff tonight and feel better. I bought a simple white denim hat and a cheap scarf on sale that came with a scrunchie, and I'm so glad. I'll have them here in no time.

I'm out of here tonight. I'll read this tomorrow and hopefully it will still make sense then too. lol

2 comments:

QueenMeadow said...

((hugs)), I'm sorry about your hair falling out. My grandma went through Chemo (both grandmas actually, though one didn't lose her hair for some reason) and lost her hair. She had the cutest scarfs, they looked great! I'm sure you will too :)

Rachau said...

((hugs)) One thing to remeber is it will grow back.You will look super cute in hats or scarfs.
I remeber my granddad and aunty getting there hair back and it was just like fluff.It was so nice and soft.
Heidi hang in there and let your body do what it needs to to mend.