Sunday, April 30, 2006

The human touch

I've forgotten the rule of thumb when visiting family out in Canby. It is proven impossible to stay for 20 minutes. We arrived and planned to just drop in and say hi. Over THREE hours later with Lindsey screaming her head off, we escaped! We were hankering for some artichoke jalepeno dip and yes, we were going to break the Sabbath and buy some and we can only get it out in Canby. So we thought we would stop by and visit Jason's aunt. Sweetest lady in the world but totally impossible to get a word in edgewise.

She's a wonderful lady otherwise it would be just terrible being out there. She loves to show us everything in her colorful home from the paintings she's in the middle of to the hair shop she owns and tries to shove old shampoos and discontinued hair products on us. We've been married 8 years and have never had to buy shampoo since we get stocked up on her. Chloe follows her around like a little puppy doing whatever she tells her to. Chloe has learned to just knod her head and agree with whatever she tells her. She barks orders at you or tells you how to do stuff and Chloe just knods her head and does what she's told. So funny to see it!

Anyways, it was nice to go out there. Jason's aunt loves to talk and she loves to do what she can. So she gives Jason and I a quick trim and washes our hair. I don't just mean a quick wash and you're done. She massages your head and scalp and uses like 3 different shampoos on you and makes it an experience. I thought of her when I was getting out of the hospital. I wanted her to wash my hair for me and make me feel human again. So for her to do that today was just heaven. She said she knew what I meant when I said it felt good to have someone care and just do something simple like wash my hair. She said it was the human touch. It really is that simple.

When I was in the hospital and felt so crummy, I had a nurse wash my hair. It was with a showercap and I only had to sit forward and she washed it and combed it out and smelled so fresh when she was done. That was the best thing in the world. All she did was wash my hair! But I remember the nurse's name and exactly what she did. But it was the human contact and it felt wonderful.

1 comment:

emlouisa said...

I agree. It's amazing what just washing your hair can do. Glad you were able to have such a relaxing time!